Distinguished University Professor at Department of Engineering Sciences, Solid State Electronics
Professor in Solid State Electronics, spec. Solar cells. Leader of the Thin Film Solar Cell group, Ångström Solar Center, at Uppsala University. Member of the board of the Swedish Research Council.
Scientific speciality: Cu(In,Ga)Se2 based thin film solar cells and. Devices, Material growth and characterization.
Also available at
Name: MarikaChristina EDOFF (formerly Bodegård)
Affiliation: Uppsala University
Department of Engineering Sciences - Ångström Laboratory
Box 534, 751 21 Uppsala, Sweden.
Tel.: +46 18 471 7249 Mobile: +46 425 0895
Place and date of birth: Stockholm, Sweden, 20 April 1965
Marital status: Married, three children, born 1993, 1995 and 2002
Research interests: Thin film solar cells and material science related to solar cell research, with emphasis on materials fabricated by physical deposition methods, such as thermal co-evaporation and sputtering. Influence of alkali-metal doping on electrical properties of Cu(In,Ga)Se2.Development of novel concepts in photovoltaics such as use of nanopatterning and passivation strategies for increased optical and electrical performance. Electrical characterization of solar cells and solar cell test structures. Monolithic integration of solar cells into high efficiency solar cell modules using laser and mechanical patterning techniques. Long term stability testing of solar cells and solar cell modules, e.g. light induced degradation, potential induced degradation and damp heat performance.
Appointments: Professor in Solid State Electronics, spec. Solar Cells, Department of Engineering Sciences, Divison of Solid State Electronics, Ångström Laboratory, Uppsala University, Permanent position. Pro-Dean and Deputy Vice Rector, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Uppsala University (50 % appointment 2014-2018). Member of the board of the Swedish Research Council (2019-)
- 2019- Member of the board of the Swedish Research Concil
- 2014-2018 Appointed deputy vice rector (pro-dean), faculty of Science and Technology, Uppsala University (present term until 2020)
- 2012- Professor in Solid State Electronics, spec. Solar Cells, Group leader Solar Cell Research, Uppsala University
- 2006-2012 senior lecturer, Department of Materials Research, Group leader, Solar Cell research, Division of Solid State Electronics, Uppsala University
- 2005-2014 Part time employment, spin-off company Solibro AB (later Solibro Research AB)
- 2004-2006 temporary position as senior lecturer, Group leader, Solar Cell research, Department of Materials Research, Division of Solid State Electronics, Uppsala University
- 1997 - 2004 Postdoctoral researcher (Forskare) Uppsala University, Department of Materials Research, Division of Solid State Electronics
- 1991 – 1997 Ph.D. studies at the Department of Solid State Electronics, Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) Stockholm, Sweden
Education and qualifications
1984 High school exam: Natural Sciences program, Stockholms Musikgymnasium, Adolf Fredriks skola, Stockholm, Sweden.
1990 University exam: Master of Science in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, 1986-1990.
1997 Ph.D. exam: Topic: Solid State Electronics, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden. Date: 27thof November, 1997. Supervisor: Lars Stolt
2004 Docent, Solid State Electronics; Uppsala University, Sweden
Scientific merits (as per 2018-09-29)
- Number of scientific publication in peer-review journals: 153
- Sum of times cited: 3526 without self citations
- Active as reviewer for: Nature Materials, Nature Communications, Progress in Photovoltaics, Research and Applications, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, Applied Physics Letters, Thin Solid Films (also as guest editor 2012, 2014, 2016), Journal of Applied Physics, etc.
Supervisor of PhD students (Main supervisor) (thesis year)
Dorothea Ledinek, 2019, Olivier Donzel-Gargand, 2018, Piotr Szaniawski (2017), Viktor Fjällström, (licentiate thesis 2015), Timo Wätjen (2013), Jens Schöldström (2012), Sebastian Schleussner (2011), Per-Oskar Westin (2011), Tobias Böhnke (licentitate thesis) (2009), Ulf Malm (2008)
Assistant supervisor to 9 more students with PhD exams between 1998 and 2018,
Presently main supervisor to Faraz Khavari
Supervisor of post-doctoral fellows:
Mukes Kapilashrami (UU, 2010, on CIGS deposition processes for solar cells, presently at Berkeley CA, USA)
Pedro Salomé (UU, 2010 -2012 , on high temperature CIGS for solar cells and Na delivery, presently at International Iberian Nanotechnology, Laboratory, INL, Portugal)
Bart Vermang (UU 2012-2014, PerCIGS, nanosized back contacts for thin film solar cells, presently at University of Hasselt, Belgium)
Wei-Chao Chen (ongoing)
Invited review panels:
- Swedish Research Council (VR), member of ‘Semiconductor Physics, Electronics, Electrical Engineering and Photonics’ panel (NT-L), 2008 and 2009
- One of three evaluators of EU integrated project ATHLET, 2007-2010 (FP6)
- Evaluator of EU-projekt ORION, 2010, 2011 and 2012
- Evaluator for Vinnova: Banbrytande elektronik, 2007
- Member of steering group SolElprogrammet (Elforsk) 2003-2006, 2008-2011
- Member of FOKUS IV, Strategic Energy Research committee, Swedish Energy Agency, 2014-2017
- Evaluator and sub-panel chair, Evaluation of Forschungszentrum Jülich on behalf of the Helmholtz stiftung, January, 2018
Conference organization and Administrative duties
Organizer (one of three) of E-MRS conference, symposium B in Strasbourg in 2012, symposium A in Lille 2014 (as head organizer), symposium V in Lille 2016 (one of three)
Project leader on behalf of Uppsala University for the following EU projects
FLEXIS (JOR3CT98 0304)
PROCIS (ENK5 CT2000 00331)
LARCIS (FP6 019757)
PERcIGS (Marie Curie FP7 IEF 300998) Project leader
ARCIGS-M, EU-project H2020, LEIT. Coordinator(13 partners), ongoing
Project leader on behalf of Uppsala University for the following national and nordic projects
Nordic PV (Nordic Energy Research)
Nordic Center för Excellence in Photovoltaics (Nordic Energy Research)
CIGS tunnfilmssolceller, phase 1-3 (Swedish Energy Agency) P.I.
Ångström Thin Film Solar Center (Swedish Energy Agency, 2010-2014), P.I.
Ångström Thin Film Solar Center, Phase II, 2014-2017 (Swedish Energy Agency, ongoing) P.I.
IEA-PVPS Task 1, phase 1-3 (Swedish Energy Agency) until 2015: P.I.
Nanosized point contacts for thin film solar cells, nr 2011-3907 (VR, 2012-2014): P.I.
Ångström Thin film solar cells – nya koncept för hög verkningsgrad, Swedish Energy Agency nr 43238-1, 2017-2019, P.I.
Koncentrationseffekter i ultratunna CIGS-solceller - nästa steg mot betydligt högre verkningsgradsnivåer, VR and Swedish Energy Agency, nr 43523-1, 2017-2020, P.I.
One of four founders of spin-off company Solibro AB.
Board member of Solibro AB 2000-2003
Board member of Nordic Solar Energy AB (subsidiary of Solibro AB) 2003 -2010
National and international collaborations
Solibro Research AB, research and development company. World record holder in Cu(In,Ga)Se2based solar cells and modules: one project funded by Vinnova on transparent window layers, one project funded by the Swedish Energy Agency on innovative front contact strategies, EU-Project ARCIGS-M
Midsummer AB, solar cell equipment manufacturer, ARCIGS-M
Obducat AB, Nano-imprint Lithography equipment, ARCIGS-M
AC&CS, Steel research-intensive company, flexible substrate materials for solar cells, funding of PhD student (Olivier Donzel-Gargand) also partner of ARCIGS-M
Arcelor Mital, ARCIGS-M
Electricité de France, ARCIGS-M
Ulf Helmersson, Iris Pilch, Linköping University on nano-particle formation for point contacts
Bart Vermang, IMEC, Belgium: Back contact passivation of thin film solar cells
Pedro Salomé, INL, Portugal: Nanopatterning techniques
University Catholique de Louvain, Belgium
Iberian Nanotechnology Insitute, INL, Portugal
University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
Please contact the directory administrator for the organization (department or similar) to correct possible errors in the information.