visiting researcher at Institute for Russian and Eurasian Studies, Faculty
- Visiting address:
- Gamla Torget 3, 3 tr
- Postal address:
- Box 514
751 20 UPPSALA
Dr. Vladimer Lado Gamsakhurdia got PHD in psychological anthropology from Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University (2016). He worked as a visiting research fellow recently at the universities of Chicago, Luxembourg, Aalborg, Basque country, Fribourg and BIGSSS, Jacobs University.
His research is oriented on the studies of proculturation and adaptation to sociocultural Changes.
Keywords: proculturation cultural psychology of semiotic dynamics dialogical self theory
Also available at
Vladimer Lado Gamsakhurdia´s research interests are associated with the semiotic dynamics of identity-construction, selfhood, dialogical theories, mobility/migration, sociocultural changes and proculturation/acculturation. Vladimer Lado Gamsakhurdia elaborated the term of proculturation to signify subjective experiences and related meaning-making processes which develop when people meet foreign cultural elements. Moreover, he is interested in the research of such fundamental questions as the interplay between culture and personality throughout the historical development and follows cultural psychological theoretical stance.
Currently, he is studying Georgian emigrants’ proculturative adaptive experiences throughout the whole World, but mainly in western and northern Europe. His recent publications reveal the characteristics of Georgians’ identity construction and also, theoretical subtleties of semiotic dynamics of adaptation in emigration.
Vladimer Lado Gamsakhurdia’s work at Uppsala University is oriented on the building of the complete theory of proculturation and empirical study of Georgians´ adaptive experiences in emigration.
My recent publications:
- Proculturation: Self-reconstruction by making “fusion cocktails” of alien and familiar meanings. V Lado Gamsakhurdia. Culture & Psychology, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1177/1354067X19829020
- “Adaptation in a dialogical perspective—From acculturation to proculturation, Culture and Psychology”, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1177/1354067X18791977
- “Constructive urge for Self-presentation- Mediating between the Past and the future”, Integrative Psychological and Behavioral Science, 2018. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12124-018-9466-2
- Quest for ethnic identity in the modern world—The Georgian case, Vladimer Gamsakhurdia, Cogent Social Sciences Vol. 3, Iss. 1,2017, http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23311886.2017.1309735
- “Significant values at the individual and group level in Georgian society”, Luisa (Bela) Arutinova & Vladimer Gamsakhurdia, “Psychological Matsne” of Georgian academy of science, 2007 #1, ISSN 1987-6238, (Published in Georgian)
- Towards the Systematic Theory of Imagination:" Old Melody in a New Song: Aesthetics and Art of Psychology", by: Tateo, Luca (Ed.). VL Gamsakhurdia, Integrative psychological & behavioral science, 2019
- Making Identity, Proculturation In-between Georgianness and Westernness. Vladimer Lado Gamsakhurdia. Human Arenas, 1-22. 2019. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s42087-019-00062-0
Please contact the directory administrator for the organization (department or similar) to correct possible errors in the information.