visiting researcher at Uppsala Religion and Society Research Centre
- Visiting address:
- Engelska parken
751 20 Uppsala
- Postal address:
- Teologiska institutionen
751 20 Uppsala
Also available at
Elena Prats is a qualified lawyer and Ph.D. candidate in Philosophy of Law at the Philosophy Department of the Uppsala University in a cotutelle with the Law Faculty of the Pompeu Fabra University (UPF). Her research interests lie in the fields of legal theory, animal law, bioethics, and citizenship policies. She is currently researching on the assessment of the legitimacy of citizenship-by-investment programmes (CIPs), focusing on CIPs in the EU.
Prats has extensive international academic experience: up today she has been studying, researching or teaching at universities of seven different countries: Spain (University of Barcelona; Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB); UPF; Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (UOC); Universidad Nacional Educación a Distancia (UNED); Universidad de la Laguna; Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (ULPGC)), Germany (Universität Bremen; Max Planck Institute, Visiting Scholar), U.K. (Glasgow University), Japan (桃山学院大学; 早稲田大学;日本大学; 上智大学), Finland (Åbo Akademi University), Italy (Tarello Institute at the University of Genoa, Visiting Scholar), and Sweden (Uppsala University).
- Lawyers Bar Exam (Spain) July 2020.
- LL.M. in Law (90 ECTS). UNED (2020).
- Master degree (60 ECTS) in Bioethics&Biolaw. Universidad de la Laguna&Universidad de las Palmas de Gran Canaria (2019).
- Bachelor degree (240 ECTS) in Law. Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (2018).
- Master degree (90 ECTS) in Internationalization. University of Barcelona (2012).
- Bachelor degree in Asian Studies. Autonomous University of Barcelona & UPF (2012).
- Bachelor degree (240 ECTS) in Philosophy. University of Barcelona (2010).
UNIVERSITY TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- Uppsala University (Sweden) Department of Philosophy (Courses taught: Philosophy of Law: 2017,2018,2019; Migration Ethics 2018,2019; Bioethics&Biolaw: 2018,2019; Ethics -seminar leader: 2020).
- Sophia University (上智大学) (Tokyo, Japan) (2014).
- University of Japan (日本大学) (Mishima, Japan). College of International Relations (2013-2014).
- Waseda University (早稲田大学) (Tokyo, Japan). School of International Liberal Studies (SILS) (2012-2014) and School of Letters, Arts and Sciences (2013-2014).
- CIVIS SUM a project funded by the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation within the program Wallenberg Academy Fellows, 2015–2020
- Contributionism an interdisciplinary project funded by the Swedish Research Council, 2019–2023
ARTICLES/PAPERS & BOOKS
- Mindus, P. and Prats, E. (2020) Women in Philosophy: Voices from Scandinavia: An Introduction, in Women in Philosophy: Voices from Scandinavia (Mindus&Prats eds.), Special Issue for Theoria (Q1). DOI: 10.1111/theo.12290.
- Prats, E. (Master thesis, 2020b) El delito de Maltrato Animal en España: Pasado, Presente y Futuro. Available here
- Prats, E. (2020a) La Urgencia de la Bioética: a favor de la constitución de un foro para el consenso moral global, ed. Editorial Académica Española. ISBN: 978-620-0-39404-0. Book sold here:
- Mindus, P. and Prats. E. (2019b) Quality of Legislation Meets Migration Policy- An Introduction, in Quality of Legislation Meets Migrations Policy (Mindus&Prats eds.), Special Issue for The Theory and Practice of Legislation (Q3) (Vol. 7, issue 2). DOI: 10.1080/20508840.2020.1729554.
- Prats, E. (2019) Citizenship by Investment Programmes: Express Naturalisation for Bulky Wallets. An Arbitrary de jure Stratification? in Revista de Derecho Político (Q2) (UNED), n. 106, September-December 2019, pp. 347-377.
- Mindus, P. and Prats, E. (2018) La cittadinanza «a pagamento» nell'Unione europea, in Quaderni costituzionali, Rivista italiana di diritto costituzionale (Q3) 1/2018, pp. 246-252, doi: 10.1439/89202.
- Prats, E. (Master thesis, 2012) Relaciones comerciales UE - Japón: sobre las posibilidades de celebración de un nuevo TLC a partir del modelo UE - Corea del Sur, doi: 10.13140/RG.2.2.19712.43522
SEMINARS, WORKSHOPS, CONFERENCES and CONGRESSES
- Prats, E. (2017a), Selling of citizenship in Europe? Paper presented at the Svenska IVR-konferensen, 8-9 May 2017, Karlstad, Sweden.
- Prats, E. (2017b), Conceptual misunderstandings on ius pecunia. Paper presented at the Academic Workshop of the Investment Migration Council, 5 June 2017, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Prats, E. (2017c), What can philosophy say about ius pecunia? Paper presented at the Conference Filosofidagarna, 26 August 2017, Uppsala, Sweden.
- Prats, E. (2017d) Citizenship-by-Investment Programmes: What Can Legal Philosophy Say about? Project presentation at the Higher Seminar in Philosophy of Law of the Uppsala University, 5 October 2017, Uppsala, Sweden.
- Prats, E. (2018a), Mercados sin límites: el caso de los checkbook citizens. Paper presented at the Semillero de Investigación del Grupo en Estudios Internacionales of the University Tecnológico de Antioquia, 5 April 2018, Medellin, Colombia.
- Prats, E. (2018b) Is money a legitimate criterion for granting citizenship? Suggesting a theory to assess ius pecunia. Paper presented at the research seminar 'Show me the Money! Money Matters in Migration Policy and Practice', 15-16 June 2018, Amsterdam Research Institute for Legal Studies, The Netherlands.
- Prats, E. (2018c) Assessing Citizenship-by-investment programs. Paper presented at the Conference Migration as a Global Challenge, 21-23 June 2018, Georg-August Universität Göttingen, Germany.
- Prats, E. (2018d) Does Discretion in Citizenship by Investment Programs Affect the Quality of Legislation? Paper presented at the ICON-S Conference, 25-27 June 2018, Hong Kong.
- Prats, E. (2018e) Citizenship-by-investment programs: phenomenon and methods of assessment. Paper presented at The 1st Japan International Conference of the IVR Japan, 6-8 July 2018, Kyoto, Japan.
- Prats, E. (2018f) Citizenship-by-investment programs: Express Naturalization for Bulky Wallets: an Arbitrary de jure stratification? Paper presented at the 19th Nordic Migration Research Conference, 15-17 August 2018, Norrköping, Sweden.
- Participant in the Forum ACCESS Sweden-Chile (cluster of societal challenges: contemporary migrations), 26-30/11/2018 in Santiago de Chile, Chile.
- Prats, E. (2019a) Trading Places: Assessing the Legitimacy of Citizenship-by-Investment Programmes in the EU. 1st year Project Defence at the Law Faculty of the UPF, 19 June 2019, Barcelona, Spain.
- Prats, E. (2019b) Selling Votes in the European Union? Presenting Citizenship by Investment Programs and their Relation to Democracy. Paper presented at the XXIX IVR World Congress, 7-12 July 2019, Lucerne, Switzerland.
- Prats, E. (2019c) Trading Places: Assessing the Legitimacy of Citizenship-by-Investment Programmes in the EU. Project presentation at the Work in Progress Seminar of the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity, 14 August 2019, Göttingen, Germany.
- Prats, E. (2019d) Trading Places: Assessing the Legitimacy of Citizenship-by-Investment Programmes in the EU. Project presentation at the Higher Seminar in Philosophy of Law at the Philosophy Department, Uppsala University, 12 September 2019, Uppsala, Sweden.
- Prats, E. (2019e) Trading Places: Assessing the Legitimacy of Citizenship-by-Investment Programmes in the EU. Mid-term seminar at the Philosophy Department, Uppsala University. Opponent: professor Gerard René de Groot, 1st October 2019, Uppsala, Sweden.
- Prats, E. (2019f) Granting Citizenship on Arbitrary Grounds: The Case of Citizenship by Investment Programmes. Paper presented at the Conference Organizing Migration and Integration in Contemporary Societies (OMICS) at the University of Gothenburg, 6-8 November 2019, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Prats, E. (2019g) Citizenship by investment programs: an open door for arbitrariness in citizenship policies? Paper presented at the PhD Workshop on International Migration and Human Rights organised by Uppsala FORUM on Democracy, Peace and Justice, 14-15 November 2019, Uppsala, Sweden.
- Prats, E. (2019h) The value of values: the introduction of arbitrariness by citizenship by investment programmes as an erosion factor of the Rule of Law in the EU. Paper presented at the 2019 GLOBALCIT Annual Conference organised by the European University Institute, 21-22 November 2019, Florence, Italy.
- Prats, E. (2020a) Citizenship qua legal status. Paper presented at the Higher Seminar in Legal Philosophy (online) at the Uppsala University, 10 September 2020.
- Prats, E. (2020b) The value of values: the Introduction of Arbitrariness by Citizenship by Investment Programmes as an Erosion Factor of the Rule of Law in the EU. Paper presented at the IVR Workshop Japan (online), 21 November 2020.
- Language reviewer of the book by Mindus, P. (2019) Hacia una teoría funcionalista de la ciudadanía, ed. Marcial Pons. ISBN: 978-84-9123-619-1
- Co-editor of the Special issue Quality of Legislation Meets Migrations Policy at the journal The Theory and Practice of Legislation (Q2; Routledge, Taylor & Francis group) (2019, Vol. 7, issue 2).
- Co-editor of the Special issue Women in Philosophy: Voices from Scandinavia at the journal Theoria (Q1) (forthcoming 2020).
Please contact the directory administrator for the organization (department or similar) to correct possible errors in the information.