Gemma Mestres Beà
associate senior lecturer at Department of Engineering Sciences, Division of Microsystems Technology
Also available at
- 2016, docent in Engineering Sciences with specialization in Materials Science, Uppsala University (Sweden)
- 2015-ongoing, senior researcher at EMBLA group, Uppsala University (Sweden)
- 2012-2015, postdoc at Materials in Medicine group, Uppsala University (Sweden)
- 2012, PhD Biomaterials, Technical University of Barcelona (Spain)
- 2007, BSc Chemistry, Autonomous University of Barcelona (Spain)
- I am teaching several guest lectures at Biomaterials I (course responsible is Jöns Hilbörn) and Biomaterials II (course responsible is Oommen Varghese).
- I am course responsible of the MSc course "Innovation of Molecular Biosensors" (3MG039).
- I am course responsible of the PhD course "Biological characterisation of biomaterials".
Since 2015 I am co-coordinating the Uppsala Team for SensUs international competition on biosensors for healthcare. Do you want to know more about this project? You can do so in our website:
Telephone: +46 (0)18 471 6805 Email: email@example.com
My research during my PhD aimed at developing novel inorganic materials for bone regeneration. During my first postdoc at the Materials in Medicine Group (Uppsala University) I evaluated the biological properties of such materials, paying special attention to inflammatory response.
I performed my second post-doc at the EMBLA group (Uppsala University) I started developing an improved in vitro model of the blood-brain-barrier. Such a model to test the efficacy of a drug to cross the blood-brain-barrier would be very relevant in clinics and would allow decreasing the number of animal lives sacrificed nowadays to perform these tests.
Right now I am running my own research line within the EMBLA group. I am aiming to use my knowledge on biomaterials, in vitro studies and microfluidics to create a new microfluidic device that will allow to study the biological properties of biomaterials aimed for bone regeneration.
Awards and grants
- 2018 Göran Gustaffson pris (lilla)
- 2018 Stint, Initiation Grant
- 2018-2022 VR, Starting Grant
- 2017-2019 Formas, Future research leaders
- 2015 Stifelsen Lars Hiertas Minne
- 2014 Stifelsen Lars Hiertas Minne
- 2013-2016 VINNOVA, Marie Curie Incoming
- 2013 European Doctoral Award 2013. Awarded by the European Society of Biomaterials
Please contact the directory administrator for the organization (department or similar) to correct possible errors in the information.