Distinguished University Professor at Department of Chemistry - BMC, Biochemistry; Kamerlin group
Professor of Structural Biology at Uppsala University. Research interests range from fundamental theoretical organic chemistry to protein evolution and understanding DNA dynamics.
Keywords: protein evolution enzyme catalysis computational biochemistry reaction mechanisms phosphate hydrolysis
Also available at
I received my Master of Natural Sciences from the University of Birmingham (UK), in 2002, where I remained to complete a PhD in Theoretical Organic Chemistry under the supervision of Dr. John Wilkie (awarded 2005). Subsequently, I was a postdoctoral researcher in the labs of Stefan Boresch at the University of Vienna (2005-2007) and Arieh Warshel at the University of Southern California (2007-2009, Research Associate at the University of Southern California in 2010), as well as a Researcher with Fahmi Himo at Stockholm University (2010). I joined the faculty of Uppsala University in 2011, where I am currently a Full Professor of Biochemistry, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry, and a Wallenberg Academy Fellow. I was also the recipient of an ERC Starting Independent Researcher Grant (2012-2017) and the Chair of the Young Academy of Europe (YAE) in 2014-2015. My non-scientific interests include languages (fluent in 5), amateur photography and playing the piano.
Selected Distinctions and Professional Memberships
- The Svedberg Prize from SFBBM 2018
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC) 2017
- Wallenberg Academy Fellowship 2014-2019
- MGMS Silver Jubilee Prize 2013
- Member, Young Academy of Europe (Chair 2014-2015)
- ERC Starting Independent Researcher 2012-2017
- Docent in Molecular Biotechnology, Uppsala University 2012
- Sven and Ebba-Christina Hagberg Prize in Biochemistry from the Swedish Royal Academy of Sciences 2011
- 4 year assistant professorship fellowship funded by the Swedish Research Council (VR) 2011-2015
- UK Royal Society of Chemistry Chartered Chemist (CChem) 2009
Please contact the directory administrator for the organization (department or similar) to correct possible errors in the information.