Also available at
- 2011: Degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Semitic Languages, Uppsala University.
- 2006-2011: Doctoral student in Semitic Languages, Uppsala University.
- 2003-2004: Degree of Master in Semitic Languages, Gothenburg University and Uppsala University.
- 2000-2003: Degree of Bachelor of Philosophy in Semitic Languages, Gothenburg University and Uppsala University.
- 1997-2000: Secondary school: The Social Science Programme, at LM Engström, Gothenburg.
Currently, my research interests focus on five topics, namely comparative Semitics, loanwords, language contact, the begadkefat-phenomenon and neologisms in Turoyo/Surayt/Suryoyo.
In my doctoral thesis, Arabic Borrowings in Ṣūrayt/Ṭūrōyo within the Framework of Phonological Correspondences- In Comparison with other Semitic Languages, I investigated Arabic loanwords in Ṣūrayt/Ṭūrōyo with phonological correspondences. The aim was to methodically and consistently identify and distinguish between native Turoyo roots and Arabic roots of this category, borrowed into Turoyo. The study serves as an example how one with help of certain methods, especially the comparative method, can identify loanwords from a Semitic language into another, particularly in the field of cognate roots with phonological correspondences.
My current research project is: The Development of the begadkefat in Surayt/Turoyo. In comparison with Early Attested Aramaic Languages and other Neo-Aramaic languages. Participants: Sina Tezel and Aziz Tezel. Financed by the Swedish Research Council (2014-2016).
Arabic: Since 2006 I have been teaching Arabic, text analysis at the first and second semester and since 2011 also the oral and written language skills.
Suryoyo/Turoyo/Surayt: During 2010 I developed an online course called Suryoyo/Turoyo A (Surayt). Ever since spring 2011 I have been teaching that very course. The first part consists of grammar and text analysis and the second part consists of oral and written language skills.
Commissions of Trust
- Member of the Faculty Research Committee, present.
- Member of the Faculty Collaboration and Communication Committee, present.
- Teacher representative, Department Board, Department of Linguistics and Philology, present.
- Chairwoman of the Faculty PhD Council, Humanities (Humanistiska Doktorandrådet), 2007-2008 and 2008-2009.
- Vice-chairwoman of the PhD Student Board, Department of Linguistics and Philology, 2008-2009.
- Secretary of the PhD Student Board, Department of Linguistics and Philology, 2007-2008.
- Secretary of the Faculty PhD Council, Humanities (HDR), 2006-2007.
- PhD Student Representative in the Supervisors Staff Meeting (Handledarkollegiet), 2007-2008, 2008-2009.
- PhD Student Representative of HDR, Department of Linguistics and Philology 2007-2008, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011.
Please contact the directory administrator for the organization (department or similar) to correct possible errors in the information.