This paragraph is not available in English, therefore the Swedish version is shown.
Jag är professor i företagsekonomi, särskilt redovisning vid Uppsala universitet sedan 2010. Tidigare var jag professor i ekonomiska informationssystem vid Linköpings universitet. Min forskning är inriktad på hur olika informationssystem (exempelvis extern redovisning, ekonomistyrning och produktionsstyrning) utformas och används för att formulera och implementera strategier.
Also available at
I have been Professor of Business Studies, specialising in Accounting at Uppsala University since 2010. Before that I was Professor of Economic Information Systems at Linköping University. During the fall 2015 (September - December) I was a Visiting Scholar at the Scandinavian Consortium for Organizational Research, Stanford University. In 2016 I was awarded "Ekonomiforskningsstiftelsens forskarpris 2016" at the Academic Ceremony at Mid Sweden University.
My research interests lie in issues relating to strategy and information systems (e.g. financial accounting, management control, production control). I am particularly interested in understanding the role of these (accounting) information systems in formulating and implementing strategies. Within this broad area of interest I have published several monographs, edited volumes and scientific articles.
Examples of book publications include, Strategy, Control and Competitive Advantage: Case Study Evidence (editor together with Erik Jannesson and Birger Rapp, Springer) and Mergers and Acquisitions: The Critical Role of Stakeholders(editor together with Helén Anderson and Virpi Havila, Routledge). I have published articles in scientific journals such as Accounting & Finance, British Journal of Management, European Management Journal, Management Accounting Research and Scandinavian Journal of Management (at the end of this description you can find a list of selected publications from the period before I joined Uppsala University). I am currently studying the relationship between strategies, financial accounting and management control in banks.
Teaching, supervision and lectures:
I have extensive teaching experience from both the undergraduate and the graduate levels, including lecturing at Fudan University in Shanghai, China. Today I am deeply involved in our Master Programme in Accounting and Financial Management (with three specialisations: Financial Accounting, Management Control and Financial Management). The specialisation in Financial Management is the result of a collaboration with the University of Groningen. In my field of expertise I have given numerous talks at conferences for practitioners in Sweden and abroad. I have for example given several talks at the annual “Controller day” – a meeting place for scholars and practitioners alike interested in management control (an annual event organized by Ekonomistyrningsforum).
I have supervised numerous Ph.D. students (as a principal adviser: 6 Ph.D. dissertations, 5 Licentiate theses). Today I am the principal advisor for 1 Ph.D. student and secondary advisor to 3 Ph.D. students. I have been a member of 9 evaluation committees for the Ph.D. degree, been an opponent on 8 Ph.D. dissertations and on 5 licentiate theses. I have been involved in several evaluation assignments as an expert reviewer (sakkunnig): 5 positions as Assistant Professor (Gotland University College, Linköping University, Mälardalen University College, Stockholm School of Economics), 4 Associate Professorships (Gothenburg University, Mid Sweden University, Stockholm School of Economics, Stockholm University), 1 Consulting Professor (Linköping University), 2 Full Professors (Mid Sweden University, University of Agder) and 1 Chaired Professor in Accounting (Linköping University).
Assignments and other relevant skills:
Today I am Chairman of the Swedish Academy of Auditing (Svenska Revisionsakademin), Chairman of The Swedish Research School of Management and Information Technology (Forskarskolan Management och IT), Member of the Examination Council (Examensrådet) at the Swedish Inspectorate of Auditors (Revisorsinspektionen) and a Member of the Docent Award Board (Docenturnämnden). I have been a Delegate, Representative Assembly (hörandeförsamlingen) for the election of the Vice-Chancellor and Deputy Vice-Chancellor of Uppsala University in 2011.
At Linköping University I was Second Deputy Head for the Department of Management and Engineering with some 400 employees (2007-2010). I have also held numerous other leadership positions at Linköping University (e.g. Division Representative [Economic Information Systems], Division Director [Information Systems and Management], Member of the Management Council [Department of Computer and Information Science]).
For more than ten years (1992-2004) I was employed part-time at Deloitte, in the final years as a Senior Manager and member of the management team for the Stockholm practice. I participated in over 50 consulting assignments involving all types of business organizations as well as a broad spectrum of industries. During 2000-2001 I was a personal advisor and assistant to Dr. Hans-Rudolf Dicke, European Director of the Strategy & Operations service line at Deloitte. My responsibilities in that role included co-ordination of business-development activities in a service area that engaged more than 700 consultants.
Selected publications (pre 2010)
- Nilsson, F. (1997) Strategi och ekonomisk styrning: En studie av hur ekonomiska styrsystem utformas och används efter företagsförvärv (Strategy and Management Control Systems: A Study of the Design and Use of Management Control Systems Following Takeover) (dissertation), Linköping: Linköping Studies in Science and Technology.
- Nilsson, F. & Rapp, B. (1999) Implementing Business Unit Strategies: The Role of Management Control Systems, Scandinavian Journal of Management, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 65-88.
- Jansson, Å., Nilsson, F. & Rapp, B. (2000) Environmentally Driven Mode of Business Development: A Management Control Perspective, Scandinavian Journal of Management, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 305-333.
- Kald, M., Nilsson, F. & Rapp, B. (2000) On Strategy and Management Control: The Importance of Classifying the Strategy of the Business, British Journal of Management, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 197-212.
- Nilsson, F. (2000) Parenting Styles and Value Creation: A Management Control Approach, Management Accounting Research, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 89-112.
- Nilsson, F. & Olve, N-G. (2001) Control Systems in Multibusiness Companies: From Performance Management to Strategic Management,European Management Journal, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 344-358.
- Nilsson, F. (2002) Strategy and Management Control Systems: A Study of the Design and Use of Management Control Systems Following Takeover,Accounting & Finance, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 41-71.
- Nyman, C., Nilsson, F. & Rapp, B., 2005, Accountability in Local Government: A Principal-Agent Perspective, Journal of Human Resource Costing & Accounting, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 123-137.
- Nilsson, F. & Rapp, B. (2005) Understanding Competitive Advantage: The Importance of Strategic Congruence and Integrated Control, Heidelberg: Springer.
- Nilsson, F. & Olve, N-G. (eds) (2006) Ekonomiska informationssystem: Där ekonomi och IT möts (Economic Information Systems: Where Managerial Economics and IT Meet), Lund: Studentlitteratur.
- Ahlström, P., Nilsson, F. & Olve, N-G. (2007) Mobilising and Nurturing Collaboration in Research: The Value of a Focused Imagination,International Journal of Action Research, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 297-323.
- Hedman, J., Nilsson, F. & Westelius, A. (eds) (2009) Temperaturen på affärssystem i Sverige (Taking the Temperature of ERP Systems in Sweden), Lund: Studentlitteratur.
Please contact the directory administrator for the organization (department or similar) to correct possible errors in the information.