Detta stycke finns inte på svenska, därför visas den engelska versionen.
Associate Professor of Peace and Conflict Research; Wallenberg Academy Fellow; Deputy Head of Department.
My research is focused on understanding civil war dynamics, in particular violence against civilians, and how interventions by the international community can influence such processes. I am heading the project Ending Atrocities: Third-Party Interventions into Civil Wars.
Areas of expertise: violence against civilians; UN peacekeeping; protection of civilians.
Finns även på
I am a senior lecturer (associate professor) of peace and conflict research. Most of my research revolves around two central themes: first, understanding violence against civilians and the dynamics of civil war violence; second, the response by the international community and the impact of various forms of interventions in addressing such violence.
I got my PhD in Peace and Conflict Research from Uppsala University in 2008 (docent in 2013). After that, I spent one year as a research fellow at the Swedish Institute of International Affairs, and two years as a researcher at the Swedish National Defence College. Since 2011, I am back at Uppsala University.
In 2014 I was appointed Wallenberg Academy Fellow, which has allowed me to build a research team around the theme of international intervention and protection of civilians. I have also developed a master-level course on this topic. As of January 2018, I serve as the Deputy Head of Department.
I am currently a member of the council of the Peace Science Society (International). I also serve on the editorial boards of three journals: Journal of Conflict Resolution, International Peacekeeping, and International Interactions. I have formerly been a member of the European Peace Science Society steering committee. Between 2015 and 2017 I served on the Swedish Research Council review panel for political science, peace and conflict, and media and communication; in 2017, I was the chair of the panel.
Current research projects:
- Ending Atrocities: Third-Party Interventions into Civil Wars (project leader Lisa Hultman)
- Threatening Ties: Understanding Wartime Civilian Targeting along Ethnic Lines (project leader Hanne Fjelde)
- ViEWS (project leader Håvard Hegre)
Recently completed projects:
- Protection of Civilians: UN Peacekeeping Strategies and Their Effectiveness (project leader Lisa Hultman)
Links to blog posts and popularized work:
- Brosché, Johan et al. “9 punkter för global fred.” Uppsala Nya Tidning, 25 October 2015.
- Hegre, Håvard, Lisa Hultman, and Håvard Mokleiv Nygård. 2015. “Peacekeeping Works”. PRIO Conflict Trends 01/2015.
- Fjelde Hanne and Lisa Hultman. “Ethnicity and Collective Targeting in Civil Wars.” Guest post at Political Violence at a Glance, 13 April 2015.
- Hultman, Lisa. “Satsa på FN:s fredsbevarande operationer.” Post on web magazine Mänsklig säkerhet, 28 Sept 2015.
- Hultman, Lisa. “Robust Peacekeeping: A Desirable Development?”, E-International Relations, 2 Sept 2014.
- Hultman, Lisa Jacob Kathman and Megan Shannon. “UN Peacekeeping and Violence in Civil Wars”, guest post on the Early Warning Project Blog, 13 June 2014.
Kontakta katalogansvarig vid den aktuella organisationen (institution eller motsv.) för att rätta ev. felaktigheter.