Detta stycke finns inte på svenska, därför visas den engelska versionen.
Research interest: transnational migration, land use change, peri-urban agriculture, remote sensing, climate variability, embodied knowledge production, invisible disabilities, neoliberal university.
Current research: My doctoral dissertation investigates transnational labor migration as a household livelihood strategy and its impacts on agricultural land use in Bolivian out-migration communities. The empirical research takes place in Cochabamba, by using qualitative and quantitative methods.
Finns även på
Detta stycke finns inte på svenska, därför visas den engelska versionen.
Johanna C. Jokinen, PhD Candidate
Visiting address: Office B479, Ekonomikum, Kyrkogårdsgatan 10 floor 4
PhD Project: Migration-induced local development in the agricultural valleys of Cochabamba: Contextual factors as determinants of migration outcome
Expected completion: March 2017
Supervisors: John Östh, Susanne Stenbacka, Aida Aragão-Lagergren
- Jokinen, Johanna C. In press. Migration-related land use dynamics in increasingly hybrid peri-urban space: insights from two agricultural communities in Bolivia. Population and Environment.
- Caretta, Martina A. and Johanna C. Jokinen. 2017. Conflating privilege and vulnerability: A reflexive analysis of emotions and positionality in postgraduate fieldwork. The Professional Geographer 69(2): 275-283. DOI: 10.1080/00330124.2016.1252268
- Jokinen, Johanna C. and Martina A. Caretta. 2016. When bodies do not fit: an analysis of postgraduate fieldwork. Gender, Place & Culture 23(12): 1665-1676. DOI: 10.1080/0966369X.2016.1249343
- Jokinen, Johanna. 2009. Den ryska diasporan i Christchurch. In Geographical studies in Aotearoa 2007: Report from a Geographical Field Course in New Zealand, March-April 2007, edited by Gertrud Hultblad, Anders Fridfelt and Peter Kinlund. Stockholm Geographical Reports No. 16, s. 89-121.
- Caretta, Martina A., Danielle Drozdzewski, Johanna C. Jokinen and Emily Falconer. Stepping into the rabbit hole? The lived experiences of doctoral candidates and early career women in the neoliberal university. Submitted to Journal of Geography in Higher Education.
- Jokinen, Johanna C. (Fai)Lure of Migration: Learning from Less Successful Experiences of Labour Migration. To be submitted to Global Networks.
- Jokinen, Johanna C. Determinants of remittances in regard to international labour migration from the Cochabamba city, Bolivia. To be submitted to World Development.
Conference Paper Presentations:
- 'Agricultural land use change in peri-urbanizing out-migration communities in Bolivia', the Association of American Geographers' Annual Meeting, Chicago, USA, April 2015.
- 'Migration as a strategy to diversify household income sources in agricultural communities in Bolivia', the Royal Geographical Society with IBG Annual International Conference, London, UK, August 2014.
- 'Reasons behind out-migration from rural societies in Bolivia', the Association of American Geographers' Annual Meeting, Tampa, USA, April 2014.
- 'Rural roots in the urban landscape: The urban spatial organization of rural-to-urban migrants in Bolivia', the 5th Nordic Geographers' Meeting, Reykjavík, Iceland, June 2013.
- 'Rural roots in the urban landscape: The urban spatial organization of rural-to-urban migrants in Bolivia', the Association of American Geographers' Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, USA, April 2013.
Conference Panelist and Panel Presentations:
- Panelist in session 'Challenges and Solutions in International Geography Research', the Association of American Geographers' Annual Meeting, Chicago, USA, April 2015.
- 'A reflexive analysis on field knowledge production and academic labor during PhD studies' (Martina A. Caretta and Johanna C. Jokinen), presentation and panelist in session 'Geography and Post–Graduate Studies in the Neoliberal University', Gendered Rights to the City: Intersections of Identity & Power (Pre-AAG IGU Gender & Geography Commission Conference), Milwaukee, USA, April 2015.
Conference Sessions Organized:
- Paper session 'Geography and Post–Graduate Studies in the Neoliberal University I', organized by Johanna C. Jokinen and Yui Hashimoto, Gendered Rights to the City: Intersections of Identity & Power (Pre-AAG IGU Gender & Geography Commission Conference), Milwaukee, USA, April 2015.
- Panel session 'Geography and Post–Graduate Studies in the Neoliberal University', organized by Martina A. Caretta, Johanna C. Jokinen, and Yui Hashimoto, Gendered Rights to the City: Intersections of Identity & Power (Pre-AAG IGU Gender & Geography Commission Conference), Milwaukee, USA, April 2015.
During my PhD programme, I have been mainly teaching on GIS, cartography, remote sensing, and geopolitics within BA courses given in Swedish. I have delivered lectures on vector and raster data structures, remote sensing, geospatial data collection techniques, and geopolitics and facilitated seminars on cartography, geopolitics, landscape literacy, environmental migration, comprehensive planning, and power and planning. I have also supervised GIS projects and facilitated exercises in GIS, remote sensing, GPS data collection, and quantitative analysis of population geogprahical data. I have been teaching within the following courses at the Department of Social and Economic Geography, Uppsala University, covering in total 290 lecturing hours:
- Geographical Information Systems I, 2012-2014, 2016
- Geographical Information Systems II, 2012-2014
- Political Geography and Planning, 2013-2014
- Geographical Perspectives on Society/Geography A, 2012, 2014
- Geography B Methods, 2013-2014
- Geography B Environment and Landscape, 2012-2014
- Physical Geography/Geography A, 2012
In addition, I have assisted with course outline and schedule design of the BA course Geographical Information Systems I. I also assisted with excursion planning and administration of the PhD course Field course to South Africa 2013, 7,5 HECs.
BA Thesis Supervision:
I have supervised two BA students writing their thesis in swedish on environmental management within higher education institutions and place management and sense of place. I also supervised a BA student who was granted a MFS stipend to conduct a fieldwork in Bolivia, writing her thesis in English.
During my field trips to Bolivia in August 2011 and January 2014, I delivered a lecture and facilitated several GIS exercises in Spanish at the Centro de Planificación y Gestión, Universidad Mayor de San Simón in Cochabamba.
I am the treasurer for Geografiska föreningen i Uppsala since 2012 and Geografilärarnas Riksförening since 2011. I was a board member of Geografiska Förbundet 2008-2015, being in the role of the board secretary 2010-2013, and the treasurer for the PhD Association at the Department of Social and Economic Geography, Uppsala University, 2012-2014. I was also an elected PhD representative of the Departmental Board at the Department of Social and Economic Geography, Uppsala University, 2014-2017.
- Academic Teacher Training Course (5 weeks), Uppsala University, 2015
- Supervising Students for Degree Projects (2 weeks), Uppsala University, 2014
- MSc, Geography, Stockholm University, 2009
Thesis: 'From dump-sites to resilient urban residence areas: Successful adaptation to tropical cyclone related flooding in Nicaragua'
I was granted a Sida-funded MFS stipend to conduct a fieldwork in Nicaragua over a period of three months. Read here more about the results of the thesis work I completed within the Master's Programme in Globalization, Environment and Social Change, 120 HECs.
- BA, Latin American Studies, Stockholm University, 2006
Previous Professional Experience:
- Assistant, the Swedish National Agency for Education, 2012-2013
- Intern, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Medellín, Colombia, 2011
Carried out research on climate-related changes in peri-urban agricultural land use
- Teaching assistant, Department of Physical Geography and Quaternary Geology, Stockholm University, 2010-2012
- Research Assistant, Department of Human Geography, Stockholm University, 2010
- Teaching assistant, Department of Human Geography, Stockholm University, 2009-2012
Last updated 2017-10-13
Kontakta katalogansvarig vid den aktuella organisationen (institution eller motsv.) för att rätta ev. felaktigheter.